The petitioners sought permission to remove 31 Victorian nave pews installed during William Butterfield’s 1856–57 restoration, replace them with 150 stackable “Icon 40” chairs, and dispose of various surplus twentieth-century furnishings (including a metal altar rail, kneelers, lectern, and a Lady Altar). The Victorian Society objected in consultation, arguing that the pews formed part of Butterfield’s significant ensemble of furnishings and that their removal would harm the building’s architectural integrity. Historic England and the Diocesan Advisory Committee supported the proposal, considering the pews relatively undistinguished and accepting the parish’s case that flexible seating was needed for worship, mission, accessibility, and community activities. Applying the Duffield guidelines for listed churches, the Chancellor held that removing most pews would cause moderate but not serious harm to the church’s significance. However, the parish had demonstrated a clear and convincing justification: flexible space would better support worship, events, and mission. Alternatives such as shortening or moving pews were rejected as impractical. Balancing harm against public benefit, the Chancellor granted the faculty, subject to conditions regarding disposal of the Lady Altar and consultation about retaining some pews around the church perimeter.